2 oz (50 g) currants
for the batter
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
1.25 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
1 egg, beaten
250 ml (8 fl oz) milk, or half milk and half water
1. Make the batter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the centre and add the beaten egg.
2. Stir in half the milk (or all the milk, if using a mixture of milk and water), gradually working in the flour.
3. Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, then stir in the rest of the milk (or the water).
4. Grease 12 deep patty tins and divide 50 g (2 oz) currants between them.
5. Pour in enough batter to half fill each tin and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Turn out to serve, and pass round Ginger Syrup Sauce.