75 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/3 cup pudding rice, washed and drained
625 ml (20 fl oz) 2 1/2 cups milk
1 vanilla pod
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup single (light) cream
juice of 1 orange
caster sugar (superfine granulated)
orange peel strips, to decorate
1. Put rice, milk and vanilla pod into a saucepan and simmer on a very low heat for 45 - 60 minutes, until rice is soft and creamy.
2. Remove vanilla pod from mixture and stir in cream and orange juice.
3. Spoon into an ovenproof gratin or souffle dish.
4. Leave to go cold, then refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Cover top of pudding thickly and evenly with caster sugar.
6. Place under a very hot grill until sugar topping has caramellized.
7. Serve at once, decorated with orange peel.