Preparation time: 15 min Cooking time: 12 - 15 min Cals per serving: 200
300g (11 oz) self-raising flour , sifted, plus extra to dust
1 tsp baking powder
50 g (2 oz) butter , chilled and diced, plus extra for greasing
25 g (1 oz) golden caster sugar
284 ml carton buttermilk
milk to glaze
blueberry jam to serve
for the vanilla mascarpone
250 g tub mascarpone
1 vanilla pod
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan oven/Gas Mark 7. Put the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and mix together. Add the butter and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Or put all the ingredients in a food processor, whiz for 30 seconds, then tip into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the sugar and buttermilk and use a knife to mix everything together quickly. Knead lightly on a floured board and shape into a round.
3. Roll out the dough to about 2.5cm (1 in) thick. Put 25 g (1 oz) flour in a small bowl and dip in a 6cm (2 1/2 in) plain cutter. Stamp out a round and repeat stamping out rounds until all the dough is used up.
4. Put the rounds on two greased baking sheets, brush the tops with milk and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden and risen.
5. To make the vanilla mascarpone, put the mascarpone in a bowl and beat with a wooden spoon to soften. Cut the vanilla pod in half, split open and use the end of a teaspoon to scrape out the seeds. Add the seeds to the bowl and beat well to mix everything together.
6. Cool the scones on a wire rack and serve with vanilla mascarpone and blueberry jam. Best eaten on the day of making.
Freezing: When cool, freeze for up to three months.
To use: Thaw for 2 hours.
109 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!