A Lyonnais tart, which is similar to a quiche, made with sweet caramelised onions.
serves 4 - 6
1. Rub 2 oz (50 g) butter into the flour and salt until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in the egg and enough cold water to bind the mixture. Knead gently. Wrap in non PVC film and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, meltthe rest of the butter in a large saucepan and cook the onions, covered, over a low heat until pale golden. Stir often to prevent them sticking or burning.
4. Roll out the pastry and use to line an 8 inch (20 cm) fluted flan tin.
5. Stir the egg yolks, cream, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper and salt into the on ions and spoon on to the pastry.
6. Bake at Mark 6 (200°C) 400°F for 30 minutes until golden. Serve hot.