Preparation time: 15 minutes.
Cooking time: 1 hour.
Calories: 457 per portion
750 g (1 1/2 lb) pie veal in one piece
25 g (1 oz) pure lard
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon water
1 green pepper, halved and seeded
1 large tomato, halved
450 g (1 lb) pasta shells or noodles, cooked
1. Cut the meat into large pieces of about 5 cm/2 inches.
2. Heat the lard in a heavy-based saucepan and fry the onions until golden.
3. Take the pan off the heat and add the paprika, stir thoroughly, then add the meat and return to a gentle heat.
4. Stir and add the salt and the water. Cover and simmer slowly, stirring from time to time and adding a little more water should it look at all dry.
5. After 30 minutes add the halved green pepper and tomato, cover and continue cooking until the meat is really tender; the longer and slower the better.
6. Just before serving, remove the green pepper, chop up and combine with the veal. Turn the porkolt into a large warmed serving dish and surround with pasta shells or noodles.
A boned knuckle of veal is the ideal joint for this Hungarian dish. 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil may be substituted for the lard to fry the onions.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!