for 8 servings:
100 g (4 oz) soft tub margarine
100 g (4 oz) caster sugar
100 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
300 ml (1/2 pt) double cream)
1 tbsp caster sugar
juice and grated rind 1 orange
75 g (3 oz) whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
275 g (10 oz) strawberries
2 tbsp strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven 170°C/325°F/gas 3. Grease and line 2 x 18 cm (7 in) sandwich tins. Put margarine, eggs, sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl and beat together. Divide mixture between tins and bake for 25 - 30 mins until risen and golden. Turn out on to wire rack and leave to cool.
2. Whip cream, sugar and orange juice together until it forms sort peaks. Fold in the orange rind.
3. Put the almonds in baking tray and roast at 170°C/325°F/gas 3 for 5 - 10 mins until qolden. Cool.
4. Cut strawberries into slices. Spread one cake with strawberry jam.
5. Spread half orange cream on top of jam. Top with second cake. Use remaining cream to coat top and sides.
6. Press the almonds around edge of cake and arrange strawberries on top.
Leave the cakes to cool in their tins for a few minutes before turning them on to a rack. This will make them easier to remove.
22 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!