900 g (2 lbs) rhubarb, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces
525 g (1 lb 3 oz) caster sugar
120 g (4 oz) butter
2 tbsps white wine
250 g (9 oz) plain flour
2 tsps baking powder
140 ml (1/4 pint) soured cream
1 tsp ground cinnamon
60 g (2 oz) ground almonds
Icing sugar, to dredge
1. Put the rhubarb into a bowl and sprinkle with 400 g (l4 oz) of the sugar. Cover and allow to stand for 1 - 2 hours.
2. Cream the butter with 90 g (3 oz) of the remaining sugar, until it is light and fluffy
3. Beat one of the eggs and add this and the wine to the creamed butter and sugar. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix together well.
4. Knead the base mixture together until it forms a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in greaseproof paper and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured board and use it to line a well-greased, loose-based, or spring-clip, 25 cm (10 inch) round flan tin, pressing the pastry well into the base and up the sides of the tin.
6. Strain the rhubarb and arrange the pieces in the pastry case. Bake in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4, for 30 minutes.
7. Beat together the cream and the remaining eggs and sugar. Stir in the cinnamon and ground almonds, mixing well to ensure they are thoroughly blended.
8. Remove the flan from the oven and pour the cream topping over the rhubarb. Return the flan to the oven and cook at the same temperature for a further 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.
9. Ease the flan out of the tin and cool completely before dredging with icing sugar and serving.