Do not let the idea of carrots in a cake put you off trying this recipe.
makes 1 loaf
180 g (6 oz) polyunsatured margarine
180 g (6 oz) soft unrefined brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
225 g (8 oz) wholemeal plain flour
1 1/2 tsps bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
225 g (8 oz) peeled carrots, grated
90 g (3 oz) raisins
60 g (2 oz) walnuts, chopped
2 tbsps clear honey
Icing sugar, for dredging
1. Cream the margarine and sugar together, until they are light and fluffy
2. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, until they are fully incorporated.
3. Mix the flour with the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom. Fold these dry ingredients into the egg mixture, gently, but thoroughly
4. Stir in the carrots, raisins and nuts, along with the honey Mix well, to blend thoroughly
5. Pour the carrot mixture into a well-buttered 25cm/10-inch loaf tin. Bake in a preheated oven, 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 45-50 minutes, or until a fine metal skewer comes out clean, when inserted into the centre of the cake.
6. Cool the cake in the tin for 10-15 minutes, before turning out carefully onto a wire rack, to cool completely
7. Dredge the cake with icing sugar before serving.
40 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!