3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
125 g chopped smoked Spanish panceta or smoked bacon lardons
4 sprigs of thyme 250 g chicken livers, trimmed and cut in half
1/4, teaspoon smoked hot paprika (pimenton picante), plus extra for dusting
3 tablespoons manzanilla sherry
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 slices of white bread, crusts removed, cut into triangles
extra virgin olive oil, for frying
1. To make the fried bread, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the triangles of bread and fry on both sides until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onion and garlic and fry over low heat for 5 minutes until completely softened but not coloured.
3. Increase the heat, add the panceta and thyme and fry for about 5 minutes until everything is golden. Transfer to a plate.
4. Wipe the pan with kitchen paper. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then add the chicken livers, paprika, salt and pepper and fry over high heat until golden on both sides and soft in the middle (they will spit, so take care).
5. Transfer to the plate with the onion mixture. Deglaze the pan with the manzanilla until almost evaporated, then return the contents of the plate to the pan. Add the parsley, stir and serve immediately on the fried bread. Dust with a little extra paprika.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!