serves 2 - 3
1 lb (450 g) squid
3 tablespoons oil
6 spring onions, sliced, with all green parts included
1 head celeryy finely sliced
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh root ginger
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 - 2 tablespoons rice wine or sherry
lemon wedges to serve
1. Prepare or buy it prepared from the fishmonger.
2. Slice the sac into 5-mm/1/4-in rings and cut the tentacles in half.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or very large, heavy frying pan.
4. Drop in the squid and stir fry for 2 minutes, then add the spring onions, celery and ginger and continue for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, stir-frying all the time.
5. Season with salt and pepper, and throw in the rice wine or sherry, stirring all the time.
6. Serve immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.