1 1/2 lb (700 g) stewing steak
2 tbsp (30 ml) fat or oil
2 onions, skinned and sliced
2 carrots, pared and sliced
4 level tbsps (60 ml) plain flour (All purpose)
4 cups (32 fl oz) 900 ml stock
salt and pepper
1. Cut the meat into 1 cm (1/2 in) cubes.
2. Heat the fat or oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and carrots until browned.
3. Remove from the pan and fry the meat until browned.
4. Put the meat and vegetables in a casserole.
5. Add the flour to the fat remaining in the pan, stir well and add the stock gradually, bring to the boil, season and add to the casserole, with the bouquet garni.
6. Cover and cook in the oven at 170°C (325°F) mark 3 for about 2 hours.
7. Remove the bouquet garni before serving.