A brown bread recipe using wholemeal flour.
makes one loaf
1 cup (110 g) each brown and white strong plain flours (or in any proportion you like)
5 g white cooking fat
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried yeast
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
1. Dissolve sugar in a cupful of hand hot water (from the amount above) then sprinkle dried yeast on top. Leave until frothy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add, with rest of liquid, to flours and salt. Mix to a soft scone-like dough.
3. Knead the dough thoroughly on a lightly floured surface.
4. Shape loaf to half fill a well greased loaf tin or flower pot.
5. Brush the tops with salt and water and sprinkle with cornflakes or cracked wheat.
6. Put to rise, inside a large greased polythene bag, loosely tied, until the dough has doubled in size and springs back when lightly pressed with a floured finger.
7. Remove bag. Bake on middle shelf of hot oven at 230°C or gas mark 8 for 30 - 40 minutes.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!