This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
115 g (4 oz) 1/2 cup of Dairy free margarine
55 g (2 oz) 1/4 cup of caster (superfine) sugar
1 large free-range egg, beaten
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of rice flour
70 g (2 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup of maize flour
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
A pinch of salt
1 heaped tablespoon of millet flakes
for the almond cream
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of Dairy free margarine
85 g (3 oz) 6 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar
2 large free-range eggs
1 tablespoon of dark rum
85 g (3 oz) 1 cup of ground almonds
20 g (3/4 oz) 2 generous tablespoons of rice flour
for the fruit filling
680 g (1 1/2 lb) of fresh and very ripe greengages, stalks removed
4 tablespoons of apricot jam (jelly) warmed in a pan with 1 tablespoon of dark rum
32 cm (12 1/2 inch) loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin, greased and floured
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas mark 6
first make the pastry.
1. Beat the margarine and the sugar together in a food processor and add enough egg to make a wet paste.
2. Sift the flours, spices and salt into the dough, add the millet flakes and process briefly in order to blend together.
3. When the dough comes together into a ball, wrap it in clingfilm (plastic wrap) and chill for 30 minutes in the deep freeze.
4. Roll out the pastry on a floured board and carefully line the tin with it, pushing the pastry into shape with floured fingers.
5. Trim the edges with a knife and discard the remnants.
6. Beat the margarine and sugar until pale and fluffy, then mix in the eggs and rum.
7. Fold in the almonds, sieve in the flour and mix gently.
8. Cover the base of the tart with the mixture.
9. Halve the greengages, stone (pit) them and arrange them close together over the almond cream.
10. Bake the tart for 45 minutes, or until the fruit is puffy and golden.
11. The fruit should be just soft but not bursting.
12. Remove the tart from the oven and leave it in the tin to cool.
13. Dissolve the jam and rum together in a bowl in the microwave and spread it over the fruit tart.
14. Leave the tart to cool before removing it from the tin onto a plate.
15. Serve the tart just warm. You can reheat the tart if you are making it tn advance, but it should be served fresh and warm.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!