two 400 g (14 oz) cans chick-peas, rinsed and well drained
1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips
1/2 cucumber, seeded and chopped
2 firm tomatoes, quartered
1 small onion, skinned and sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh mint or 7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) dried
1 tbsp (15 ml) coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove, skinned and crushed
2 slices wholemeal bread
25 g (1 oz) polyunsaturated margarine
8 oz (225 g) chicken livers, trimmed and chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
for the dressing
3 tbsp (60 ml) olive oil
juice of 2 limes or lemons
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Put the chick-peas into a bowl with the other vegetables, herbs and garlic, if using.
2. Heat the margarine in a frying pan and add the chicken livers with 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil. Cook for about 4 minutes, until cooked through and evenly coloured but still slightly pink in the centre.
3. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices for 2 minutes, until lightly golden.
4. To make the dressing, mix the 45 ml (3 tbsp) olive oil with the lime juice and seasoning. Stir the dressing into the salad ingredients.
5. Break or chop the toasted bread into pieces and add to the salad bowl, then add the cooked chicken livers and their pan juices. Quickly toss the salad until well mixed and serve.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!