1 eating apple
175 g (6 oz) blackcurrants, trimmed from stalks, thawed if frozen
2 tbls (25 g) 1 oz cornflour
1 level tbsp (15 ml) light muscovado sugar
a little semi-skimmed milk and 2 tbsp (30 ml) light muscovado sugar, to glaze
for the pastry
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz self-raising wholemeal flour
1/3 cup (50 g) 2 oz plain flour (All purpose)
2 oz (50 g) polyunsaturated margarine
1. To make the pastry, place the flours in a bowl. Add the margarine and rub in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Stir in 25 ml (1 1/2 tbsp) chilled water and mix lightly to a soft dough. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Turn out on to a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly.
4. Divide the dough into two parts, one slightly larger than the other.
5. Roll out the larger one and line a 19 cm (7 1/2 inch) loose-bottomed flan tin.
6. Peel, core and slice the apple and pear. Mix with the blackcurrants, cornflour and sugar and place in the pastry case.
7. Roll out the reserved dough into a circle just large enough to cover the filling.
8. Place over the fruit, seal the edges and trim away the excess dough.
9. Cut 2 or 3 small slits in the centre of the pastry lid.
10. Use the extra dough to make decorations.
11. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle over the sugar.
12. Bake at 190°C (375°F) mark 5 for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown and the filling is cooked through.
13. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove flan ring.
Serve hot or cold.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!