225 g (1/2 lb) 1 cup butter
1 cup (225 g) 1/2 lb caster sugar (superfine granulated)
150 g (5 oz) plain chocolate, melted
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups (225 g) 8 oz self-raising flour
8 oz (225 g) 1 cup chocolate butter frosting
3 oz (75 g) bought marzipan, coloured with a few drops of brown food-colouring
4 oz (100 g) plain chocolate cake covering
Matchmakers, chocolate mini-rolls, liquorice allsorts, dolly mixtures and candles to decorate
1. Butter and base-line two 20.5 cm (8-inch) round deep cake tins.
2. Whisk the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the cooled melted chocolate.
3. Gradually beat in the eggs and finally fold in the flour. Spoon the mixture into prepared cake tins. Bake in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 35-40 minutes; cool on a rack.
4. To assemble cake, cut a slice 3 cm (1 1/4 inch) wide off one side and a 7.5 cm (3-inch) round from the centre of each cake. Place cakes upside down on a work surface to make a figure of eight, butting cut sides together.
5. Cover with the butter icing and use brown-coloured marzipan strips and Matchmakers for the rails. Use the mini-roll for the front of the engine and cake 'cut-offs' coated in melted chocolate cake covering for the back of the engine and carriages. Make a tunnel from one centre piece, coat in butter icing and place on the cake.
6. Decorate with sweets and place on Matchmaker signals. Position candles
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!