300 g (12 oz) shortcrust pastry
300 g (12 oz) pumpkin, sliced
1 small glass white wine
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon each of chopped thyme, rosemary, parsley and sweet marjoram
1 egg to glaze
3 eggs, beaten
4 large apples
2 oz (50 g) currants
1. Roll out the pastry, leaving enough for the lid, and line a deep pie dish.
2. Peel, core and slice the apples thinly.
3. The original recipe gives instructions to fry the pumpkin and eggs as if for an omelette, but it is more appetising to cook the pumpkin in the top of a double-boiler pan or in a Pyrex bowl in a pan of boiling water.
4. Drain and mash the pumpkin adding the eggs, herbs and seasoning.
5. Put into the pie alternate layers of sliced apples and pumpkin mixture, with currants between the layers until the dish is full.
6. Put on the lid, glaze and bake at 220°C (425°F) mark 7 for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 for a further 20 minutes.