serves 6 - 8
1 kg (2.2 lb) pig's liver in 1 piece
200 g (7 oz) streaky bacon, without rinds
8 small carrots (200 g approx)
1 medium sized onion 100 g approx)
1 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper
scant 1/2 (us) cup (100 ml) dry white wine or dry cider
chicken stock to cover
1. Remove the skin and tubes, but leave the liver whole.
2. Put 100 g of the bacon rashers in the bottom of a casserole and place the liver on top.
3. Prepare the vegetables and press the clove into the skinned onion.
4. Add the carrots, onion, and bouquet garni to the casserole, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Pour the wine or cider over them. Add enough stock to come to the top of the liver.
6. Put the rest of the bacon on top of the liver.
7. Cover the casserole with a lid and bake in a moderate oven, 180°C, Gas 4, for about 45 minutes or until the liver is cooked through.
8. Transfer the liver and bacon to a warmed serving dish and keep hot.
9. Strain the sauce into a clean pan.
10. Bring to the boil over high heat until the sauce is reduced by half.
11. Pour the sauce over the liver, and serve hot.
12. Note Lamb's or calf's liver can be cooked in the same way.