3 turkey steaks, cut into strips
1/2 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 tsp medium curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 leek, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 lemon, juice only
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml boiled water
2 tbsp double cream (heavy cream)
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 white pitta breads, halved widthways
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil.
2. Fry the turkey for 2-3 minutes until sealed all over. Remove the turkey and set aside.
3. Add the curry powder, turmeric, ginger and cumin seeds to the pan and cook for 30 seconds to release their natural oils and flavours.
4. Stir the leek, garlic and potato into the spices for 2 minutes until well coated.
5. Pour in the lemon juice and water and bring to simmering point. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
6. Stir in the turkey and cook for a further 3-4 minutes. Season.
7. Fold in the cream and coriander.
8. Serve immediately in the pitta pockets.
32 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!