4 whole plaice, red mullet, or cutlets of cod, hake, pollack, etc.
for the pesto
2 large cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons pine nuts pinch each of salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1. Put the pesto ingredients into a food processor or blender and puree until the mixture is smooth. Or, in a pestle and mortar, pound together the garlic, add the pine nuts, salt, pepper and basil.
2. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and slowly add the oil, stirring all the time, finishing with the water.
3. Cook the fish under a pre-heated grill until tender but still firm.
4. Remove to a warmed serving dish or plates, and put 1 to 2 tablespoons of pesto over each fish.
5. Serve immediately with a fresh green salad and warm fresh white bread rolls to mop up the juices.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!