Strawberry shortcake is one of the great American dessert recipes.
3/4 cup (170 g) butter.or margarine
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 1/2 cup (275 g) self-raising flour
1/2 lb (225 g) strawberries
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt fresh double cream (heavy cream) or fromage frais
1 pinch salt
1. Cream the butter and the sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. You can either do this in a bowl with a fork or use a food processor, which is quicker.
3. Add the flour and salt and mix until very thick and stiff like a biscuit mixture. There is no egg in it, you may notice, or any liquid.
5. Smooth it into an 8-inch (20 cm) flan tin which you have greased and, when it is level, prick the surface with a fork.
6. Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes in a medium oven at 175°C (350°F) gas mark 4 oven.
7. Watch it carefully towards the end. It should be golden, it should not go brown.
8. When cooked, tip out of the tin and let cool on a rack.
9. Meanwhile, whip the double cream, until stiff, and slice the strawberries.
10. When the cake is cool, slit it horizontally with a sharp knife, such as a breadknife, so you have two thin cakes.
11. Lay one cake down and on the cut side, put half the fromage frais or half the whipped cream.
12. On top of that place about half the strawberries.
13. Put the remaining half of cake on top of the strawberries, and on top of that put another layer of cream and the remaining strawberries. Stick them in vertically if you wish, so they decorate the cake. Leave for about 25 minutes before serving
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!