1 cup (1/4 lb) 125 g self raising (self rising) flour
5/8 cup (75 g) 3 oz ground almonds
3/4 cup (50 g) fresh white breadcrumbs
3/4 stick + 1 tbsp (3 1/2 oz) 100 g butter or margarine
1/2 cup (8 Tbls) 100 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 eggs, beaten
2 oz (50 g) glace cherries, chopped
30-45 ml (2-3 tbsps) Milk
1. Half-fill a steamer or large saucepan with water and put on to boil.
2. Grease a 900-ml (1 1/2-pt) pudding basin.
3. Mix together the flour, ground almonds and breadcrumbs.
4. Cream the fat and the sugar until pale and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating after each addition.
6. Fold in half the dry ingredients with a metal spoon; fold in the rest, with the cherries and enough milk to give a dropping consistency.
7. Put into the greased basin, cover with greased greaseproof paper or foil and secure with string.
8. Steam for 1 1/2-2 hours over rapidly boiling water.
9. Turn the pudding out on to a dish and serve with custard.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!