Demi-glace sauce is used mainly for poultry and game.
1/2 pint espagnole sauce
1/4 pint jellied brown stock
for the espagnole sauce
2 oz (50 g) green streaky bacon
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
3 tbls (1 oz) 25 g plain flour (All purpose)
3/4 pint (450 ml) brown stock
2 level tablespoons tomato paste
salt and black pepper
to make demi-glace sauce
1. Add the jellied stock to the espagnole sauce.
2. Bring to the boil and cook until the sauce is shiny and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
3. For game, add 5 tablespoons madeira to finished sauce. For poultry, add 4 oz mushrooms and 1 tablespoon madeira.
to make espagnole sauce
1. Peel and dice the carrot and onion. Remove rind and gristle from the bacon and chop the rashers.
2. Melt the butter, in a heavy-based pan, and cook the vegetables and bacon over low heat for 10 minutes or until light brown.
3. Blend in the flour, stirring the roux until brown. Gradually blend in 1/2 pint stock, stirring constantly until the mixture has cooked through and has thickened.
4. Add the bouquet garni, cover with a lid and set the pan on an heatproof mat. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add the remaining stock and the tomato paste. Cover the pan again, and continue cooking for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Strain the sauce through a sieve, skim off fat, and adjust seasoning.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!