200 g (8 oz) tin shortcrust pastry
450 g (1 lb) chestnuts or 1 x 227g (8 oz) tin unsweetened chestnut puree
1 egg, beaten
25 g (1 oz) flour
1/4 teaspoon mustard
pinch of cayenne pepper
150 ml 1/4 pint) milk
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
50 g (2 oz) grated cheese
1. Roll out the pastry and line a flan tin.
2. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6.
3. Boil the chestnuts and mash or use the ready-made puree.
4. Put the chestnut puree in a pan with most of the butter, the mustard and herbs.
5. Add the flour and mix well, then add the milk and stir until it boils.
6. Season with salt and cayenne pepper, add nearly all the cheese and the egg.
7. Pour into the flan case, dot with the remaining butter and sprinkle with cheese.
8. Cook for 15-20 minutes at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 until the egg and chestnut mixture is set.