Tartare sauce is one of the more commonly known sauces that accompanies fish. It goes incredibly well with fried or grilled fish; cod, haddock, plaice...etc
makes 300 ml (1/2 pt)
2 hard-boiled eggs
10 ml (2 tsp) French mustard
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 egg yolk
150 ml (1/4 pt) vegetable or olive oil
4 - 6 gherkins
20 g (2 tbsp) capers
15 g (2 tbsp) parsley, finely chopped
5 g (1 tsp) dried chervil or equivalent fresh if available
1. Sieve the yolks of the hard-boiled eggs into a bowl and add mustard, salt and pepper.
2. Mix the raw egg yolks into the bowl and cream until the mixture is a smooth paste.
3. Add the oil a few drops at a time until the sauce is thick. If it seems too thick, add a few drops of lemon juice.
4. Drain and rinse the gherkins and capers in a sieve with cold water as they are usually packed in vinegar or brine, which can overpower the flavour of the sauce.
5. Pat dry with kitchen towels and chop finely.
6. Add to the sauce with the herbs (herbs, gherkins and capers can be chopped in the blender or food processor).
7. Mix well and taste for seasoning. Serve with all types of fried or grilled fish.
Quick Tartare Sauce Add the gherkins, capers, parsley and herbs to 150 ml (1/4 pt) mayonnaise.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!