3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz plain flour (All purpose)
3 oz (75 g) 6 tbsp butter or margarine
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup (100 g) 4 oz cornflour
milk to mix
for the filling
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg white
1. Make the pastry by rubbing the fat into the dry ingredients.
2. Use the egg yolk and milk to bind it to a soft dough.
3. Roll out the pastry and line a pie plate or tin.
4. Bake blind for 15-20 minutes at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6 until the pastry is beginning to brown.
5. Spread with the jam.
6. Make the meringue by whisking the egg white until stiff.
7. Whisk in half the sugar, then fold in the remainder.
8. Spread the tart with the meringue mixture and bake at 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 until the meringue is browned - about 20 - 30 minutes.