150 g (6 oz) shortcrust pastry
8 small mutton chops
600 g (1 1/2 lb) fillets of lamb
pinch of nutmeg and mace
600 g (1 1/2 lb) apples
2 medium onions, sliced
1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml stock
salt and pepper
1. Peel and slice the apples and put a layer in the bottom of a deep pie dish, follow with a layer of meat, then a layer of onions. Season.
2. Add another layer of apples, onions and again apples.
3. Put in a second layer of meat, then apples and onions. Pour in the stock.
4. Roll out the pastry to make a lid. Cover, glaze, and bake at 200°C, 400°F, mark 6 for 10 - 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C, 350°C, mark 4 for a further 45 minutes until the meat is done.
5. For the authentic Devonshire touch, serve warm with thick rich cream.