600 g (1 1/4 lbs) chicken breasts/with bone
1 small bay leaf
1/2 tsp white peppercorns
1 tsp salt
2 sprigs parsley
1/2 tsp tarragon
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml water
3 tbsp (1 1/2 oz) 40 g butter
2 tbsp plain flour (All purpose)
6 tbsp single/light) cream
4 tbsp dry white wine
2 pinches each white pepper and salt
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
Butter for greasing souffle dish
1. Wash chicken breasts, put into boiling water together with bay leaf, peppercorns, salt, parsley and tarragon. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
2. Take meat off bone and cut into thin slivers. Strain stock.
3. Peel and chop shallots, then fry until transparent in butter. Sprinkle on flour, continuing to fry until light brown. Add stock gradually, then cream and white wine. Stir well while bringing to the boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas Mark 6. Butter large souffle dish well.
5. Separate eggs. Stir egg yolks, cheese and chicken into sauce.
6. Beat egg whites until very stiff and fold carefully into mixture.
7. Spoon quickly into prepared dish and bake in centre of oven for 30 minutes.