makes 10 litres
3.5 kg lamb or mutton bones
10 litres water
250 g carrot roughly cut
250 g onion roughly cut
150 g leek roughly cut
250 g celery roughly cut
100 g mushroom trimmings
1 sprig thyme
1. Place the bones in a stockpot, cover with cold water and bring slowly to the boil.
2. Remove any scum that rises to the surface.
3. Add the vegetables, herbs and peppercorns.
4. Simmer gently for 1 hours, continuously removing all traces of scum and grease.
5. Pass through a conical strainer into a clean saucepan, reboil and use as required or cool as rapidly as possible and place in a refrigerator at 7°C until required.
1. To cool any kind of stock rapidly, place the pot on a stand in a sink of cold water.
2. The bones may be blanched first by covering with cold water, bringing to the boil and simmering for a few minutes, then draining and washing under hot water to remove all traces of fat and scum, then under cold water until any impurities are washed away.