This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, Wheat free and Dairy free.
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 red chillies, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons of olive oil
255 g (9 oz) 1 1/2 cups of dried black beans, soaked in water overnight and then drained
1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
2 celery stalks, trimmed and sliced
2 carrots, trimmed and sliced
2 sprigs of thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon each of ground cloves and ground mace
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons of chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
2 litres (70 fl oz) 2 quarts of water mixed with 2 tablespoons of (Gluten free) vegetable stock (bouillon) powder
1. In a large pan, cook the onion and chopped chillies in the oil for 5 minutes, until soft but not brown.
2. Add the black beans and garlic. Pour in the water and stock (bouillon) powder.
3. Add the celery, carrots, thyme, bay leaves and spices.
4. Season to taste and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until the beans are soft.
5. Top up with more water if necessary.
6. Cool, remove the bay leaves and liquidize.
7. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
8. Serve hot with a sprinkling of chopped coriander (cilantro) and slices of Chilli and Herb Cornbread.