1. Line and butter a deep 20 cm (8 inch) cake tin and set oven temperature at moderate.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light, white and fluffy.
3. Add beaten eggs gradually, beating well after each addition.
4. Sift the flour and fold in gently alternately with the milk.
5. Place mixture into the prepared cake tin, smooth top and bake in a moderate oven 180-190°C (350-375°F) for 1 hour or until cooked.
6. The cake should shrink from the sides of the tin when cooked. Cool on a wire rack. Decorate as desired.