350 g (12 oz) potatoes, diced
250 g (9 oz) packet frozen mixed vegetables
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
6 tablespoons water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
vegetable oil, for deep frying
175 g (6 oz) plain flour
25 g (1 oz) margarine or butter, diced
about 4 tablespoons water
1. Make the pastry: sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the margarine and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix in just enough water to make a soft elastic dough. Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the filling: heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured.
3. Stir in the curry powder, then add the potatoes and cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes.
4. Add the mixed vegetables, water and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Lower the heat slightly, cover and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all the vegetables are tender. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll out each piece on a floured
surface to a 10 cm/4 inch square.
6. Place 1 tablespoon filling in the centre of each square. Brush the edges of the pastry with water and bring over one corner to form a triangle. Press the sides together and flute.
7. Heat the oil in a deep-fat frier with a basket to 180C/350F or until a day-old bread cube browns in 60 seconds. Put 3 samosas into the basket, then lower into the oil and cook for 2 minutes or until the pastry bubbles and turns golden. Drain on absorbent paper and keep warm while frying the remaining samosas in the same way. Serve at once.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!