enough to cover one 18 - 20 cm cake
2 1/4 cup (450 g) caster or lump sugar
2/3 cup (150 ml) 1/4 pt water
4 tsp liquid glucose
1. Put the sugar and water into a heavy based saucepan which is absolutely free from grease.
2. Heat gently until all the sugar has completely dissolved.
3. Stir very occasionally.
4. Wipe any crystals which form on the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush.
5. When the sugar has dissolved, add the glucose, and boil to 115°C without stirring.
6. Keep the sides of the pan clean by brushing with the wet brush when necessary.
7. Remove from the heat and allow the bubbles to subside.
8. Pour the mixture slowly into the middle of a wetted marble slab and allow to cool a little.
9. Work the sides to the middle with a sugar scraper to make a smaller mass.
10. Using a wooden spatula in one hand and the scraper in the other, make a figure of eight with the spatula, keeping the mixture together with the scraper.
11. Work until the mass is completely white.
12. Break off small amounts and knead well, then re nead the small pieces together into one mass.
13. Store in a jar, preferably of stoneware. Cover with waxed paper and a lid.