2 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 courgettes, sliced
1 green pepper, deseeded and
diced 50 g (2 oz) mushrooms, sliced
500 g (1 lb) hard white cabbage, finely shredded
400 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
1 teaspoon lemon juice
300 ml (1/2 pint) water
4 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
salt and freshly ground black pepper
150 (1/4 pint) soured cream
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, carrots and celery and fry for about 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured.
2. Add courgettes, green pepper, mushrooms and white cabbage and cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetables sticking to the saucepan.
3. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, the tomato puree, lemon juice and water. Sprinkle in the paprika and caraway seeds and season well with salt and pepper.
4. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
5. Transfer the goulash to a hot serving dish and spoon over the soured cream. Serve at once.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!