This makes an excellent breakfast dish for guests as it can be prepared in advance and heated through just before serving.
100 g (4 oz) long-grain rice
300 ml (1/2 pt) boiling water
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) salt
3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
salt and freshly ground pepper
225 g (8 oz) smoked haddock
150 ml (1/4 pt) milk
1 bay leaf
1 slice of peeled onion
7 g (1 tbsp) parsley, chopped
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) paprika
1 lemon, quartered
1. Cook the rice in the boiling water with the salt added until the water has been absorbed and the rice is done, about 15 minutes.
2. Chop 2 of the hard-boiled eggs. Sieve the white and yolk of the third egg separately to decorate the kedgeree.
3. Add the chopped eggs to the rice, with the salt and pepper.
4. Put the smoked haddock in a saucepan with the milk, bay leaf, onion and a little pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly in-the milk. Remove and flake the fish from the skin. Add to the rice.
5. Heat all the ingredients together and pile onto a heated serving dish.
6. Garnish with rows of egg yolk, egg white and chopped parsley with a little paprika.
7. Serve with lemon quarters.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!