makes 35 - 40 rolls
2 small aubergines (eggplant)
75 ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
60 ml (4 tbsp) red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped fresh parsley
2 shallots, finely chopped
30 ml (2 tbsp) capers
1. Cut the ends off each aubergine, leaving it unpeeled.
2. Stand each aubergine on end, and cut it lengthwise into the thinnest possible slices.
3. Lay the strips on a plate and salt each slice lightly.
4. Place the slices flat in a colander, and allow them to drain for 20 minutes.
5. Dry each slice with a paper towel.
6. In a large frying pan heat 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil and fry the first batch of aubergine slowly on both sides, until they are cooked through.
7. Remove the slices and roll them into small circles.
8. Place in a serving dish. Set aside to cool.
9. Add more oil, continue with the second batch. Combine the remaining oil, vinegar and the anchovies.
10. Mash well until the anchovies dissolve in the sauce. Add the chopped garlic, parsley, shallots, capers and freshly ground pepper to taste.
11. Pour the sauce over the aubergine rolls and serve.