1. During the cooking it is important to press down the surface layer of potatoes with a palette knife to prevent curling and burning.
2. When cooked, the contents of the dish should be moist and most of the stock should have been absorbed by the potatoes.
10 x 150 g chump chops
200 g dripping
500 g sliced onion
1.5 kg sliced potatoes
1 litre white stock
50 g melted butter
200 g diced tomatoes
1. Cut the meat into sections on the bone and trim.
2. Heat the dripping in a frying pan and brown the seasoned meat on both sides, drain and retain.
3. Fry the onion in the same pan, adding more dripping if necessary.
4. Season the thinly sliced potatoes and place a layer of them in a shallow ovenproof dish, add a layer of the onion, then the meat, then tomatoes, then more onions and finish with neatly overlapping potatoes, seasoning each layer.
5. Moisten with sufficient stock to just cover and bake at 180°C for 1 12/ hours.
6. Clean the sides of the dish, brush with the melted butter and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
4 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!