Vegetable garnishes are usually cooked separately and added at the point of service; buttered noodles may also be served as a garnish.
1.5 kg topside or thick flank, larded
100 g dripping
200 g carrots roughly cut
200 g onion roughly cut
150 g celery roughly cut
1 sprig thyme
1 crushed clove garlic
1 litre brown stock
1 litre jus lie or Espagnole
1 bouquet garni
1. Heat the dripping in a frying pan.
2. Add the seasoned joint and fry until brown on all sides, then place in a braising pan.
3. Fry the vegetables in the frying pan, drain and add to the meat.
4. Add the stock, brown sauce and seasoning. Bring to the boil and skim. Add the bouquet garni.
5. Cover with a lid and braise in the oven at 180°C for 2 hours.
6. Remove the meat from the cooking liquid and retain in a covered dish to keep warm.
7. Discard the bouquet garni. Boil the cooking liquid and skim any traces of fat.
8. Correct the consistency using diluted arrowroot; taste and colour to produce a rich sauce.
9. Pass through a fine strainer and reboil. Skim if necessary.
10. Remove the string and carve the joint into slices 3 mm thick across the grain of the joint.
11. Arrange on a dish, coat with the sauce and serve.