225 g (8 oz) aubergine, cut in chunks
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
50 g (2 oz) cashew nuts
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
10 g (2 tsp) curry powder
1 large potato, peeled and parboiled
100 g (4 oz) green beans, trimmed
150 ml (1/4 pt) water
100 g (4 oz) tomatoes, quartered
10 g (1 tbsp) Garam Masala
150 ml (1/4 pt) yoghurt
10 g (2 tsp) cornflour
30 ml (2 tbsp) water
1. Salt the aubergines and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
2. Heat the oil and fry the cashews to a golden brown.
3. Remove them from the pan and put them to one side.
4. Fry the onions and garlic and cook until they begin to soften.
5. Add the curry powder and stir in. Add the aubergines and cook on a low heat for about five minutes, stirring from time to time. Add a little more oil if necessary.
6. Add the potato, cut into large chunks, together with the green beans.
7. Pour on the water, cover and leave to cook until the potatoes are ready.
8. Add the tomatoes and the garam masala, stir round carefully and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
9. Mix the cornflour with the water to a smooth paste, stir into the contents of the pan and warm through for three minutes.
10. Serve hot, with the browned cashew nuts sprinkled on top.