serves 4 - 6
100 g (4 oz) wholewheat biscuit crumbs
50 g (2 oz) butter, softened
for the filling
225 g (8 oz) broccoli florets
1 large tomato
350 g (12 oz) curd cheese
salt and freshly ground white pepper
a little gelatine melted in warm water (optional)
1. Combine the crumbs and the butter and press down well into a greased 22 cm (8 in) quiche pan with a loose bottom.
2. Steam the broccoli florets over boiling salted water until tender.
3. Carefully slice some of the florets for decoration.
4. Immerse the tomato in boiling water for a minute, refresh in cold water, peel and deseed.
5. Mash the curd cheese with most of the broccoli and the tomato and season well with salt, pepper and a good pinch of nutmeg.
6. Beat in the egg yolks.
7. Whisk the whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the mixture.
8. Pour the filling over the crumb base and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) Gas 4 for about 20 - 25 minutes until slightly risen and just set.
9. Allow to cool. When cold, remove from the tin and decorate the top with the remaining sliced broccoli florets.
10. Brush with the melted gelatine if you like and chill before serving.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!