Variations on this rich and tasty soup are found throughout the Spanish-speaking world.
serves 6 - 8
100 ml (4 fl oz) olive oil
8 cloves garlic
5 g (1 tsp) paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
6 slices stale white bread, cubed
1.75 litre (3 pt) boiling water
10 g (2 tsp) salt
5 g (1 tsp) fresh ground black pepper
6 eggs, beaten
1. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan.
2. Add the garlic and saute until golden brown.
3. Stir in the paprika and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the bread cubes and saute until they are firm and golden.
5. Carefully add the boiling water to the pan, making sure the fried bread cubes are not broken.
6. Add the salt and pepper. Cover the pan and simmer for 1 hour.
7. Slowly pour the beaten eggs into the pan, stirring constantly.
8. Simmer until the eggs are firm. Serve at once.