Deliciously light and savoury, this Russian fish soup is traditionally made during the summer and autumn months.
serves 8 - 10
1.75 litre (3 pt) water
250 g (9 oz) onions, finely chopped
4 g (2 tsp) fresh parsley, finely chopped
pinch lemon rind, finely grated
pinch black pepper
450 g (1 lb) halibut steaks, diced
100 ml (4 fl oz) heavy cream
200 ml (8 fl oz) white wine
pinch white pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
400 g (14 oz) tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
75 g (3 oz) black, olives, stoned and halved
1. In a very large soup pot, combine the water, onions, parsley, lemon rind, bay leaf and black pepper.
2. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
3. Add the fish to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Add the cream, white wine, white pepper, garlic, cucumbers and tomatoes.
6. Simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes. Do not let the soup boil.
7. Remove the pot from the heat. Stir in the olives.
8. Leave the pot to stand for 30 seconds. Stir again and serve.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!