serves 4 - 6
500 g (1 1/4 lb) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced at an angle
30 ml (2 tbsp) cornflour
60 ml (4 tbsp) sunflower oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
5 cm (2 in) fresh root ginger, peeled and cut in matchsticks
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cubed, or 425 g (15 oz) can pineapple chunks in natural juice
30 ml (2 tbsp) dark soy sauce or 15 ml (1 tbsp) kecap manis
1 bunch spring onions, white bulbs left whole, green tops sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Toss the strips of chicken in the cornflour with a little seasoning. Fry in hot oil until tender.
2. Lift out of the wok or frying pan and keep warm. Reheat the oil and fry the garlic, ginger and onion until soft, but not browned. Add the fresh pineapple and 120 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup water, or the canned pineapple pieces together with their juice.
3. Stir in the soy sauce or kecap manis and return the chicken to the pan to heat through.
4. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Stir in the whole spring onion bulbs and half of the sliced green tops.
5. Toss well together and then turn the chicken stir-fry on to a serving platter.
6. Serve garnished with the remaining sliced green spring onions.