This simple yet deliciously aromatic cake is the perfect ending to any meal. Serve it with Russian-style tea ? stir a spoonful of preserves or rum, or both, into each glass of tea.
450 g (1 lb) sugar
450 g (1 lb) unsalted butter
450 g (1 lb) flour
5 g (1 tsp) salt
10 g (2 tsp) baking powder
15 ml (3 tsp) vanilla extract
10 g (2 tbsp) sesame seeds
10 g (2 tbsp) caraway seeds
125 ml (4 fl oz) orange juice
2.5 g (1/2 tsp) cinnamon raspberry or plum preserves to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350"F) Gas 4.
2. Cream the sugar and butter together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the eggs, two at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, sesame seeds, caraway seeds, orange juice and cinnamon.
5. Beat for 7 minutes. Butter and flour a 30 cm (12 in) diameter cake tin.
6. Pour in the batter and bake for 1 hour or until a cocktail stick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool to room temperature.
8. Spread the top of the cake with raspberry or plum preserves and serve.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!