1.5 kg (3 lb) duck
6 spring onions
90 ml (6 tbsp) wine
30 ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
4 slices fresh ginger
4 cloves star anise
2 fennel bulbs
1. Wash and dry the duck.
2. Crush the spring onions and add the remaining ingredients of the first marinade.
3. Put the spring onions only inside the duck, rub the marinade all over the outside of the duck and leave it for 2 hours.
4. Remove the spring onions and put in their place 2 slices of ginger.
5. Spread the spring onions, the other 2 slices of ginger and the other ingredients of the second marinade on and around the duck.
6. Steam the duck for an hour, cool it and drain it.
7. Heat almost enough oil to cover the duck in a deep frying pan.
8. Once the oil is hot, remove the pan from the heat and place the duck gently in it, taking care not to burn yourself.
9. Spoon the oil over the duck and fry until the duck is browned all over, returning it to the heat only if the oil cools down too much.
10. Serve with hoisin sauce.