This is a distinctive Middle Eastern sherbet. Serve it in tulip or dessert glasses.
3 large ripe quinces, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces.
200 ml (7 fl oz) water
575 g (1 1/4 lb) sugar
75 ml (3 fl oz) lemon juice
1. Put the fruit and water into a large saucepan.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil over a high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes.
3. Strain the mixture through a sieve into another saucepan. Discard any solids that remain in the sieve.
4. Add the sugar and lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil over a high heat. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
6. Pour the sherbet mixture into a large bowl and put it in the ice compartment of the refrigerator or the freezer for 2 hours.
7. Stir the mixture every 10 - 15 minutes to break up the ice crystals and make a smooth texture.