serves 4 - 6
4 salt herrings, cut into small pieces
30 g (4 tbsp) coriander leaves, chopped
7 g (1 tbsp) fresh or 5 g (1 tsp) dried marjoram
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
1 large pimiento, finely chopped
7 g (1 tbsp) parsley, chopped
175 g (6 oz) finely chopped onion
1. Put the herring pieces in a large glass or ceramic, not metal, baking dish.
2. Cover the herring with the coriander, marjoram, salt, pepper, pimiento, parsley and onion.
3. Cover the dish and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours.
4. Preheat the grill. Remove the herring pieces from the marinade and put them in an ovenproof dish.
5. Grill/broil them until they are lightly browned, about 15 minutes, and serve immediately.