675 g (1 1/2 lb) snapper or bream
1/2 medium peeled and chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
30 ml (2 tbsp) bean paste
15 g (1/2 oz) fresh ginger
oil for frying
5 g (1 tsp) sugar
3 green chillies, seeded and roughly chopped
300 ml (1/2 pt) water
seasoning to taste
spring onion or coriander leaves
1. Wipe the fish, then make three slashes on each side with a sharp knife.
2. Pound half the onion, one garlic clove and the bean paste together until creamy.
3. Slice and shred the ginger.
4. Half fry the fish in oil on both sides then lift out.
5. Fry the reserved onion and garlic in the fat in the pan until just browning.
6. Stir in the bean paste mixture and fry for 1 - 2 minutes to bring out the flavour.
7. Add the sugar and green chillies. Cook until you can smell the aroma from the chillies.
8. Pour in the water. Bring to the boil then lower the fish into the sauce.
9. Cover and cook for further 5 - 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
10. Garnish with chopped spring onion or fresh coriander leaves.