1. Butter the slices of bread on both sides. Arrange on a baking tray and bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F) Gas 5 for about 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
2. Turn over and bake on the other side until golden.
3. Melt the chocolate.
4. Bring the milk almost to boiling point. Remove from the heat and whisk into the chocolate.
5. Beat together the eggs, egg yolks, cinnamon and sugar. Pour on the chocolate milk and whisk well.
6. Arrange the baked French bread in a large shallow baking dish. Strain the chocolate custard over the bread.
7. Put the dish into a roasting pan and pour in boiling water to come half-way up the side of the baking dish.
8. Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes until lightly set.
9. Dredge with icing sugar and serve hot or warm with single cream.