serves 4 - 6
225 g (8 oz) pickled mustard leaves, soaked
50 g (2 oz) cellophane noodles, soaked
15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 litre (1 3/4 pints) 4 cups chicken stock
450 g (1 lb) pork ribs, cut into large chunks
30 ml (2 tbsp) fish sauce
pinch of sugar
freshly ground black pepper
2 red chillies, seeded and finely sliced, to garnish
1. Cut the pickled mustard leaves into bite-size pieces. Taste to check the seasoning. If they are too salty, then soak them for a little bit longer.
2. Drain the cellophane noodles and cut them into short lengths.
3. Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add the garlic and stir-fry until golden. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
4. Put the stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then add the pork and simmer gently for 10 - 15 minutes.
5. Add the pickled mustard leaves and cellophane noodles. Bring back to the boil. Season to taste with fish sauce, sugar and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot, topped with the fried garlic and red chillies.